Breaking news!

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, December 25, 2008

    Barking dog doesn't bite!

    I had the chance to look at my country with the eyes of a person who has been abroad in the past four years.

    I re-discover the beauty of nature and the kindness of the people and I also had a taste of the many management challenges the country is going through.

    In my opinion, Costa Rica did not prepared to host the population that we currently have, the immigrats that have arrived and the quality of life we all expected.

    The symptoms can be experienced on a daily basis when you get caught in a traffic jam, suffer of long waits for low quality governamental services or feel insecure at your own home.

    I have been following politics in my country since 1998 when I joined University and I have realized that we have been sticking bandages in the system and trying to stop the licks with our fingers.

    I can't really blame the government. Since 1998 we have had 3 different democratically elected Presidents and every time they have became the scape goat for all the country's problems. If I ask my older brother or my dad, they will add at least 3 more Presidents since 1978. In other words, doesn't really matter who the President is because the attitude of our people remains the same.

    I believe that Costa Ricans work very hard as long as they see a direct, short term return in their work. We take care of our families and friends but feel little sympaty for strangers of our own community. We go from University to Business Schools but not usually to start our own ventures. We have a say in politics but not always an action in society. Like the old saying barking dogs don't bite!

    I wish Costa Rica would start a long term planning process for the next 25-35 years with clear population targets and strategies around key areas of development like health, housing, education, transport, jobs, finances and retirement supported by strong pillars on national security, environment, heritage, technology and positioning.

    I wish one day each productive, social and political sector, each organization and each person in this country will be delivering on an agreed contribution that will lead us to provide each individual the opportunity to be as great as he or she can be.

    And I guess it is all a matter of will, good (political) will.

    Pura Vida!

    2 comments:

    1. AH, that's exectly the same thing I say about Brazil (probably most latins). As you said, it's about the people, not the politicias.

      I mean, in Costa Rica or in Brazil, the politicians are all from their own countries, so then you see what's wrong.

      Happy new year!

      ReplyDelete
    2. PCR!!!
      Entiendase: Presidente de Costa Rica!
      Why not?
      Cool thoughts! ;)

      ReplyDelete

    Search This Blog